Playback Equipment for Talking Book Users
Talking book recordings require special playback equipment, which is available on free
loan from our
library. Accessories for these machines are also available. If you have questions about
playback equipment and accessories,
To retain a Library of Congress cassette and accessories, an individual or
borrow at least one book or magazine on cassette from us each year.
- Plays audio cassettes at 15/16 ips and 1 7/8 ips,
2-track and 4-track.
- Is portable.
- Is equipped with a rechargeable battery and an
- Includes a variable speed control that permits
speeding up or slowing down playback speed.
- Has ten controls.
Digital Cartridge Player
- Plays flash memory cartridges. A single cartridge holds an entire book.
- Is portable-smaller, lighter, and with better sound quality than the Library of Congress cassette players.
- Is equipped with a rechargeable battery and an electrical cord.
- Designed for convenience and ease of use. No need to turn cartridges over or change side-selector switches.
- Offered in basic or advanced model.
- Advanced model allows readers to jump to selected parts of a book or magazine.
- Digital players can be used with headphones and adaptors.
Special Accessories for Playback Machines
- Issued only to readers who require them for reading talking books where loudspeakers are not
permitted, as in nursing homes and hospitals.
- Users of the digital player should ask for a headphone adapter to fit onto the end of the headphone cord.
- For persons with a significant hearing loss.
- Requires a separate application with medical certification; the sound is boosted to a level that can cause permanent hearing loss to persons with normal hearing. Contact us for more information.
- For persons confined to bed or with difficulty in mobility.
- Turns playback equipment on and off but will not control other functions such as volume and speed.
- Fits all playback equipment described above.
- Requires a separate application. Contact us for more information.
- For persons with little or no use of their extremities.
- Must be used with remote control unit.
- For persons who have difficulty manipulating the key controls on a standard cassette machine.
- Attaches to the key controls of the cassette machine.
- For persons who are confined to bed.
- May be used with any playback machine.
- Is placed under the reader's pillow and is normally heard only by the reader.